Sunday, July 27, 2014

#July2014Challenge: How to plot polar curves in Geogebra

Let's say I want to plot the polar curve below.


Start by typing the following function into the input bar at the bottom of a Geogebra page:


Hit enter, then hide this function.  After this we are going to use the following command:


Below is what I will enter into the various command parts:


For my problem I chose the parameter variable to be "t", and my function to be f(x). You can choose another parameter variable, but remember that x is not an option since this is the default independent variable for the program.  If you want to plot in degrees instead of radians, make sure to indicate this on your start and end value.  Hit enter to submit your information.  below is what I see on my screen.


I'm not sure if there is a shorter way to do this, but for now this is what I've been using. Another fun variation on this is to create a slider to represent the end value, and then you can watch your curve appear and disappear.  More on this in the next blog post!



No comments:

Post a Comment